Thursday 25 August 2011

Knitting

I'm having one of my knitting phases at the moment, it seems to go in circles, knitting, crochet, sewing, drawing, photography, drawing, writing. All in some kind of order. I can't seem to do more than one at the same time; I think I'm a little obsessive about whatever I'm doing at that time and I can't concentrate on anything else. However the obsession can switch suddenly and I'll put the piece I'm working on down for months. I have real trouble finishing projects! You just have to look around my front room to see the remnants of my crochet phase. I'll get back to it I'm sure, but the joy will have gone out of it. Anyone else feel like that?

At the moment I'm working on a scarf; a work collegue showed me these lace knitting patterns that she couldn't get to grips with and asked if I could figure them out. I liked the look of the pattern so I have now 'adopted' them. Initially doing the swatch I didn't find them that difficult to follow but when I started a bigger item every time I finished the 4th row I'd picked up 4 stitches somewhere. I kept reading the pattern and counting the stitches (full of increases and decreases), it all made sense but whenever I did it there came these four stitches, aargh! So I decided to use my HUGE needles to try and work it out and when I started I really liked the big loops and I got this cool pattern. Thinking of giving it to my (twin) sister for our birthday in October. It's not completed yet but I couldn't resist taking a photo, what do you think?
Framing was never my strong point



I've gone for alternating 16 rows cellular stitch with 16 rows stocking stitch.

Cellular stitch: Units in any number of stitches
Row 1: (wrong side) Purl
Row 2: K1, *K under the horizontal strand before the next st, K1, pass the made st over the K1*


No comments:

Post a Comment