Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Garland/bunting project

So I said this would be the first project I'd post - and here it is.

Before I get into the actual project I'd like to set a bit of a background to how this came about. As the previous posts mention, I've just moved house and was severely broke this Christmas. On top of that, I hate the idea of  'stuff' cluttering up the world, both within the home and the planet. I don't like how you can go into any house anywhere and we all have the same things, mass produced, designed months previously without individuality in mind. I like to reuse and recycle.

Now let me be a hypocrite for a second, I do buy this 'stuff' from time to time, I just don't like to give it as gifts - it doesn't seem to be in the spirit of things to spend a few hours shopping for everyone in bulk when I could make something with love.

For this project I used fabric scraps, thread, cusion filling, metalic string and ribbon. The tools I used were pins, scissors,  hand needle and sewing machine. Without further ado - Here's how I did it;

I drew some simple shapes on card and cut out - adding about 1/4 inch stitch allowance around the edge.
I traced and cut out four sets (front and back) of each shape
I sewed around each shape, front sides together leaving a gap for turning out. During this process I also attached a loop of string to the shapes. Just have the loop sandwiched between the layers with the loose ends facing out and sew over. You can attach a pin for security.
Turn shapes the right way out and stuff with filling (I used the filling from an old cusion). Sew up gaps and you're ready to hang on ribbon.
I knotted the shapes in place. These could be used as Christmas garlands or baubles, but I think I like them enough to be up all year round as bunting. (Don't mock - I'm British, we love bunting). This project could even be a baby's moblie with a little tweeking.

This project cost me the price of the string (about £2), everything else I had already


No comments:

Post a Comment